What is the meaning of ‘testing’ of materials important in applications and industries such as aerospace, oil refineries, bridge construction and more? Here we look at the reasons why ‘test NDT’ is needed and why using fluorescent orange paint has become important.
What is ‘test NDT’?
In order to understand test NDT we need to understand the meaning of NDT. It is a non-destructive testing method used to examine and find out if a material is good to use or otherwise.
NDT is used in many industries, including the aerospace construction, and manufacturing sectors. Due to the nature of tests that NDT can perform it is an essential tool for condition assessment and quality control. It determines the quality of components by conducting a number of tests. They help determine if it is good to use before or during their active use.
The uniqueness of the tests that NDT can conduct help prevent catastrophic failures such as airplane and locomotive crashes. They have become essential tests to find out if there are any issues, pipeline leaks in gas pipes in refiners. They help in detecting the quality of the material and ensure issues due to explosions or nuclear reactor failures can be contained.
Commonly used in NDT methods range from radiography to ultrasonic testing. While simple tests such as visual test and magnetic particle testing are now proved to be extremely effective.
What is Fluorescent Orange Paint in material sciences?
Fluorescent orange paint is used in material sciences for marking samples. It is used variously – from marking gravel, soil and grass and to labeling concrete blacktops and location of below-the-hood equipment.
Fluorescent orange paint is an indication of safety The chemical composition of these paints is to contain a base of calcium, strontium, or barium sulfide mixed with metal salts. The need for salts in the paint is to absorb energy from sunlight or light from the environment and emit photons for easy visibility in darkness.
What is the importance of ‘test NDT’?
Some reasons ‘test NDT’ has proved to be very useful are:
- Safety: NDT methods can prevent the loss of life and disasters, by identifying hidden errors and components.
- Cost savings: NDT has proved to be very useful to businesses as they are able to save time and money and lower waste.
- Product reliability: These ‘test NDT’ can help increase product reliability and help in early detection
- Monitoring: Acoustic emission monitoring is one type of test NDT to help detect the micro cracks much faster than other methods.
- Preparation: Laser cleaning can help prepare surfaces for NDT by removing contaminants and coatings that could interfere with testing.
Why is NDT used?
Some of the reasons, NDT is used by industries are:
- Prevent the loss of life, environmental disasters, and expensive damage by identifying and preventing hidden errors in buildings, components, and plants.
- Save businesses time and money by reducing waste, downtime, and accidents.
- Product reliability is another reason NDT is used.
- It also gives a lot of scope for early detection of errors in materials.
- Emission monitoring using acoustics is another area where faster detection of flaws is possible
- Laser cleaning can help prepare surfaces for NDT by removing contaminants and coatings that could interfere with testing.
Test NDT are key aspects of industrial material quality check and control. One of the most used marking tools in NDT tests are fluorescent orange paints. A number of luminescent varieties of paints are used, depending on the material and the type of test being done. At the same time NDT tests are popular because they keep organizations ahead of potential disasters due to fault materials.