Ear Piercing For Kids: Safety Tips You Need to Consider

ear piercing

Ear piercing is a rite of passage for many young girls, but what about boys? The truth is that many boys like the look of earrings and even want to get their ears pierced. A lot of parents are not sure whether or not it is safe for their kids to have their ears pierced especially at a young age. This article discusses some tips on piercing your child’s ears safely so you can make an informed decision about whether or not this is something you want to do with your kids.

It is important to understand the risks before getting a child’s ears pierced

When you are planning to get your child’s ears pierced, it is important to understand the risks involved. There is a risk of infection, allergic reaction and scarring. In addition, there may be pain during the procedure and subsequent healing of the earlobe. It is also possible that an earring could migrate out of place if it were not inserted correctly or if your child were to play with it too roughly after getting her ears pierced.

Ear piercing has associated risks

  • Infection. The piercing process can introduce bacteria or other infectious agents into the wound and cause an infection, which can be painful, swollen and red.
  • Scars. A piercing may leave a scar on your child’s earlobe if it doesn’t heal properly or if there is insufficient blood flow to the area. This scar tissue can be thickened, wrinkled and discolored compared with normal skin coloration and texture—and it isn’t pretty!
  • Allergic reactions. Allergic reactions to nickel-based jewelry are common among children with pierced ears who wear cheap costume jewelry that contains nickel in its construction materials because of its low cost! In fact, some studies suggest that more than half of all teenagers who have been wearing earrings since age five have had some type of reaction while wearing them that resulted from their nickel content — including itching discomfort from contact dermatitis caused by direct contact between metal particles found inside these inexpensive pieces versus those found outside them when worn on a daily basis for several hours at once every single day for years at end…

The location of the piercing matters

The most popular spot for children’s piercings is their earlobes, and it’s a good idea to stick with this choice. While some parents prefer to pierce the cartilage instead, there are risks associated with this option that make it less desirable for kids. For example, if you choose to pierce your child’s cartilage but then change her mind about getting one later on (as many teens do), she may have some trouble removing the jewelry since cartilage tends not to shrink back to its original size after being pierced. It can also cause problems if your child has sensitive skin or suffers from eczema or other conditions that lead him/her to scratch at his/her ears frequently—in this case, having a piercing in an area where it’s more likely than others will rub against clothing would probably be best avoided altogether by opting instead for a different placement such as one below where no irritation could occur.

The jewelry used at the time of the piercing is important

The material used to make the earring is also important. Gold and platinum are the best metals for piercings, as they don’t react with the body’s chemicals or cause skin irritations. Stainless steel is a good option as well, but plastic isn’t recommended because it can be porous and harbor bacteria that could lead to infection. Nickel is another metal to avoid—it’s not toxic enough to cause immediate illness if swallowed by accident but can cause allergic reactions in some people.

Choose experts when taking your child to get their ears pierced

Ear piercing can be very delicate, and if the person who does it isn’t experienced, the results could be disastrous. Ask to see photos of their work and ask them how long they’ve been doing this kind of work. You want to make sure they’re qualified enough to take care of your child’s ear piercing without causing any damage or pain. Use sterile equipment and cleanliness is key! Make sure that all equipment used in the process has been sterilized and not reused from one client to another. Ask for documentation that shows the practitioner has been trained in hygiene procedures before allowing them to do this procedure on your child!

The Procedure

The actual procedure is fairly simple: A sterile needle is used to pierce through the outer ear cartilage and into the inner earlobe. Afterward, a curved jewelry post is inserted into each hole and then secured with a small stud back (or other type of jewelry).

Use proper aftercare

The most important thing you can do after getting your child’s ears pierced is to make sure they take proper care of their new holes. This means:

Follow sensitive ears guidelines. Avoid touching the area around the hole, which can irritate it and lead to infection or scabbing.

Wash their hands before touching the area so they don’t spread bacteria from their hands onto it.

Apply antibiotic ointment at least once per day until healed, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor or piercer. If there is swelling or redness, stop using ointment until it resolves itself (usually within 24 hours). If there is bleeding, call your doctor immediately or go back to your piercer for further instruction (sometimes bleeding will stop on its own). Don’t use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on their earrings. These products can irritate the skin around the hole, causing infection or irritation that can lead to swelling and pain.

Ear piercing is a great way to decorate your child’s ear. It’s also an important conversation to have with them about the process and the risks involved. If you do decide to get your child’s ears pierced, be sure they understand what they’re getting into and how to take care of their new piercing. It will help them avoid infections or other bacterial diseases in the future!