Legal translation means the translation of documents used for various legal purposes. It is one of the most important aspects of these services and requires special knowledge.
As the world embraces global village and increased interactions between citizens of various jurisdictions, the need for translation of legal documents has immensely increased.
The Uniqueness and Importance of Legal Translation
Unlike other forms of translation, to translate legal documents is a towering responsibility. Any mistake committed while translating any sort of translated document can result in severe consequences. Thus accurate translation is very important, or a person can be charged with violating a law and thus face several problems financial and mental.
Another problem that translators face while providing translation service is the complexity of terminology. Thus the competent translator not only has to provide the localization of subject-matter word-to-word but also present the concepts in another language.
Different Types of Legal Translation
In recent times this category has seen its scope increase to a greater extent. Following are some important types:
- Birth Certificate document quick translation which is required while traveling with children
- Marriage certificate in case of applying for accommodation from the employer
- International marketing laws so that the companies may understand and abide by them
- Formatting of resolutions passed by the parliament
- Business documents transcription has recently resulted in a high volume of work for certified copywriting due to globalization as more and more companies go global
- Laws passed by the state and other reports published by various functionaries so that the people are well informed no matter which language they speak
- High-quality contract with companies speaking a foreign language
- Brochure and diploma certification for employment purposes so that there is a more diverse workforce
- Official needs of government such as where laws are translated both in Urdu and English
- Translating a legal document of international laws written in global language internationally
- Testimonials from international customers
- Simultaneous Subtitling of financial statements to provide
- Visa immigration documents (this has seen immense growth as more people try to settle in foreign countries due to various reasons such as job opportunities and better education)
- The quotation received for various bids
- Iso certified and notarized consecutive interpreting and proofreading
- Online legal translation process to cater to the needs of the people that may have time problems and cannot visit the offices
- Notary services while documenting the witness statements in the court
- Proofs of guarantees provided by a local party to an international one while importing goods or licensing the local production of a specialized material
- Terms and conditions of management systems
Skills and Requirement For Professional Translator
In order to provide professional language services, the translator needs to have a set of skills and fulfill other requirements. For legal transcription services, the translator must be multilingual and have knowledge of other legal systems. Translators and interpreters must culturally immerse to overcome the language barrier.
They should work professionally and keep the confidentiality of their client’s documents as required by the ethics of interpretation services. They must give due importance to quick turnaround-time and quality-assurance. In addition to that, a freelance translator and certified translators must attract customers by reducing translation rates and sometimes providing a free quote and free translating documents.
A translator must also have the know-how of how to localize, tools that help translate eLearning, software localization, typesetting and transcriptions services, one-stop service, adapting to specialization, and other language translators. In addition to this, linguistic skills are also important. The interpreter must be a thorough linguist.
Issues while translating a document
The job of translating a document is not easy. Many issues arise. One of them is that of cultural nuance. The way a concept has been approached by a foreign language often is way more different than in a different language. Therefore, in addition to localization of language, the certified translator must also present the concept in a simplified form.
Another issue is that of the strict deadlines of language solutions. As legal documents all around the world are often required within a specified deadline, the turnaround time must be quick.
They may be required to fulfill the business needs or another document to and from the official language to the local. In such scenarios, a good translator and project manager will have a rigorous quality management system so that the company must adhere to quality standards and promptly work on the complaints of their customers.
As internationalization is one of the fastest-growing phenomena, and society becomes multicultural, in order to cater to the global market, a legal translation must improve its services.
In addition to the traditional services, it must also provide consultancy and proofreading services so that the experience becomes a more wholesome one.
The translators must have various qualifications under their belt so that they are considered an authority on the subject. This will not only help in making communication easier but will also act as a mode of cultural exchange. This will make the world a more inclusive place.