A throbbing toothache is more lethal than Thanos. Although it doesn’t make you disappear from the planet yet it does create a situation where you just want to vanish from here. The pain is so excruciating.
A toothache ruins your ability to eat, sleep, and even talk. The pain is so unbearable. The most obvious solution is to consult a dentist. But before you can consult a dentist, you can take a few steps to get relief from the dreadful toothache. In this post, we will discuss them in detail.
How to get rid of toothache – 4 Steps you can take
Before you see a dentist, there are a few steps you can take at home to get temporary relief from toothache.
Here are a few of them.
1. Rinse your mouth with salt water: You can treat infection and get temporary relief from pain by rinsing your mouth with warm water. Warm the water little bit for a better effect. You can add half tablespoon table salt to 8 ounces of water for getting the best result. Don’t forget to floss after you have spat the salt water to remove the remaining food particles from your gums.
2. Drink peppermint tea: Peppermint has several medicinal properties that help to alleviate headaches and toothaches. Moreover, peppermint contains menthol, which is antibacterial. It helps to fight mouth odor.
Immerse dried peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water. Boil the leaves in the water for straight 20 minutes. Let it cool a little bit and then put the solution inside your mouth. Swish the solution around your mouth for several minutes and then swallow it.
You can also keep a wet tea bag against your tooth till you get relief from the unbearable pain. If you don’t like tea bags, then pour a few tiny drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball. Place it against the affected tooth to reduce your pain and sleep at night.
3. Apply acupressure: Some studies say that acupressure helps to reduce toothache. It helps the body to release endorphins and that gives you relief from pain. Dentists say that certain points in our body are directly connected to dental discomfort. So you should be very careful when you’re trying acupressure. You shouldn’t apply pressure on your feet for more than 2 minutes at a stretch. Allow your feet to rest for a few minutes, and then you can apply pressure again.
4. Use thyme: It can help you get rid of tooth decay and pain at the same time. Boil water in a cup and keep thyme leaves inside. Boil the water for a few minutes and then wait until the water has cooled. Ask your kid to gargle the water for a few minutes. Your pain will subside after some time.
5. Eat garlic: This particular vegetable has lots of health benefits. For instance, it helps to fight with cold and flu. Other than that, garlic also helps to alleviate toothache up to a certain extent. Garlic has allicin compound, which has antibacterial properties. Crush a clove of garlic and mix it with a little salt. Apply the mixture to the affected tooth. You’ll feel better.
Medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen give temporary relief from toothache. You can take these medicines when the pain is unbearable. But avoid giving aspirins to children below 16 years.
How to avoid aggravating your toothache
Friends and relatives often give tons of suggestions when you’re spending sleepless nights due to toothache. Some suggestions are obviously good and effective. But not all. Your friends and relatives are not trained dentists. Some of their suggestions can be very bad for your oral health. Your pain can just become worse. When you’re suffering from a toothache, try to avoid:
1. Eating sugary foods since they can aggravate your toothache. Don’t eat sweets, candies, and sugary foods.
2. Eating too hot or too cold foods because they irritate your teeth. Avoid eating hot tea, soup, ice, hot coffee, soda, etc.
3. Chewing foods for a long time because that aggravates your toothache. Eat semi-liquid foods, which can be swallowed easily.
Don’t forget to consult a dentist
If you don’t get any relief from toothache even after taking the aforementioned steps, then you should consult a dentist at Dental Clinic Newtown Kolkata quickly. Let the dentist check your teeth and gums minutely to know the actual reason behind a toothache. The dentist will ask a few questions to know about your symptoms and medical history. Answer all the questions correctly to know the exact cause of the problem.
Once the dentist completes all the medical tests, detects the actual reason behind the problem, and explains you all the treatment options, don’t make any more delay. Take the prescribed medicines and undergo the recommended therapies. I’m sure you’ll feel much better.