Journalism is based on the pillars of certain principles and features. If you want to be a good journalist, your first step should be to ask yourself whether you can adapt to those principles. If you can, journalism is definitely a field for you. Your first step is to join one of the journalism courses in Kolkata.
Some of the journalism colleges in Kolkata have come up with curriculum that molds students as per the necessity of the career they are aspiring to have. The journalism courses in Kolkata embed these qualities within you. What are those qualities or principles?
Here are 10 core principles of journalism –
- Dedication – A journalist should be dedicated towards his/her work. Without dedication projects assigned to journalists won’t see the light of the day before the deadline. And in journalism, deadline is one of the most important thing. You, as a journalist, will always be under the pressure of deadline and completing tasks within deadline is going to be your major forte.
- Ethics – Journalism needs you to be an ethical human being. Ethics play a major role in building up the ideologies of a journalist. Without ethics, a journalist would lose his credibility. Ethics gives credibility to a journalist.
- Pursuit of Truth – Truth is the toughest venture and a journalist takes up this venture during the course of his work on multiple occasions. In pursuit of truth, a journalist faces hurdles, threats, but a dedicated and ethical journalist remains in his pursuit of truth. It is one of the essential principles of journalism.
- Investigation and Research – A journalist needs to have a keen eye for detail. He should have good research abilities. This is essential for journalists in every platform. Bet it print, digital or electronic. Especially for investigative journalism, investigation and research skills are absolute essentials.
- Hold on Language – Your linguistic skills are another important requirement for becoming a journalist. You can work and operate using any language, be it your mother, Hindi or English. However, your good hold on the language you are using to write or speak is required.
- Good Verbal Skills – If you are working on any kind of visual medium as a journalist, be it digital or electronic medium, verbal skills are necessary. Your diction, pronunciation, enthusiasm and presentation are essentially required.
- Excellent Writing Skills – A journalist must possess good writing skills. You should be clear and articulate while writing your pieces. Your words and adjectives are the major elements that create an impression in the minds of your readers.
- Knowledge of Law – Not a legal expert but a journalist should possess some legal knowledge. Knowing about the constitutional rights and duties of citizens, the laws regulating the media, the popular sections of IPC is required for a responsible journalist.
- Experience of Digital Media – In today’s date, having a grip on the social media and experience in digital media is required. Digital media is a great platform to reach millions and billions. As a journalist whose major work is dissemination of news, knowing the games of digital media is necessary.
- Technical Knowledge – Little bit of technical knowledge is also essential for journalists. Recording, video editing, wordpress etc are some easy technologies that a journalist should have knowledge about. It makes work easier.
The journalism colleges in Kolkata train you with practical industry experience and that makes you studio ready for your future career. Hence, if you are aspiring to become a journalist, join a journalism course first!