What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are when you soak the oatmeal in liquid. Rather than cooking them, you can easily eat them raw by soaking them in milk or water for at least 2 hours or overnight.
In addition, the creamy pudding-like oats can be combined with your favorite toppings to make a sweet treat. It will give you a perfect taste, just like a dessert, and you won’t feel like you’re on a diet anymore.
Are overnight oats eaten cold or warm?
Overnight soaking gives oats the time to absorb their cooking liquid, whether it’s milk or water.
Overnight oats are meant to be eaten cold. As you soak the oats overnight, they become soft and easy to digest, making them deliciously eaten cold.
However, if you want to eat warm oats, you can heat them in the microwave in the morning.
How long do overnight oats need to soak?
Unlike raw oats, overnight oats don’t cause any digestion-related issues. Instead, soaking oats overnight will provide you with a softer texture along with enormous health benefits that are perfect for your consumption and digestibility.
Although overnight oats should be soaked overnight, you can also make them in 2-4 hours if you don’t have much time. Nevertheless, the top dieticians recommend at least 8 hours for true overnight oats.
Three different types of oatmeal
- Rolled oats: they are the most common high-protein breakfast oats to use in overnight oats. They become thick and creamy after soaking in liquid.
- Steel-cut oats: the steel cut overnight oats will end up best if you use a quick-cooking steel-cut oat and heat it before letting it soak overnight.
- Quick-cooking oats: the quick-cooking oats end up more like cold porridge, but they’re still chewy and are super delicious.
Nutrients in overnight oats
Overnight oats are a perfect source of various nutrients, such as:-
- Carbs: 33 grams.
- Calories: 215 calories.
- Copper: 22% of the daily value.
- Fiber: 4 grams.
- Fat: 5 grams.
- Riboflavin: 3% of the daily value.
- Phosphorus: 22% of the daily value.
- Protein: 9 grams.
- Selenium: 27% of the daily value.
- Sugar: 7 grams.
- Vitamin D: 29% of the daily value.
- Vitamin A: 26% of the daily value.
- Vitamin B12: 25% of the daily value.
This amount of overnight oats will also provide you with 12%-19% of the daily value for calcium, magnesium, iron, thiamine, zinc, and pantothenic acid.
Common ingredients added in overnight oats base:-
- Milk: it’s the preferred healthiest liquid to make overnight oats. In addition, you can use any milk you want, such as almond, coconut, or cows, etc.
- Greek yogurt: it’s the best extra protein ingredient added in for overnight oats that truly enhance the flavor and make them extra creamy.
- Peanut butter: if you’re a peanut butter lover, eating peanut butter overnight oats will enhance your overall health and wellness. It is loaded with omega-3s, fiber, superfoods that are healthy for your body.
- Chia seeds: it acts as a glue to bind the ingredients. Use ¼ part of chia seeds per 1 part oats.
- Vanilla: a dash of vanilla extract or vanilla bean will provide you with a touch of flavor to your overnight oats.
Benefits of eating overnight oats
- It promotes a healthy gut microbiome.
- You will feel fuller and have fewer hunger cravings.
- It speeds up your calorie-burning capabilities.
- It reduces cholesterol levels.
- You will absorb more nutrients.
- It is made with all-natural sweeteners and fruits.
The best way to make peanut butter banana overnight oats
This simple recipe is loaded with delicious flavor, perfect for a breakfast or brunch addition. Layer the peanut butter and banana altering with each other to make this recipe. In addition, prepare the recipe of peanut butter banana overnight oats the night before and enjoy a healthy and mouth-watering breakfast in the morning.
- ½ cup of oats.
- ½ cup of low-fat milk.
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds.
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter.
- ½ tablespoon of honey.
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- ¼ cup of bananas, sliced.
Steps to prepare peanut butter banana overnight oats
- Add oats to a container of your choice and pour in the milk.
- Mix in chia seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla extracts.
- Alternate between the layers of peanut butter and layers of the sliced banana.
- Drizzle it with honey.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 8 hours in a refrigerator 40 degrees F or colder.
- It is best to eat within 24 hours.
The bottom line
No more missing out on the most important meal of the day as you have already prepped your high-protein peanut butter overnight oats the night before. Nevertheless, one of the best things about this healthy overnight breakfast is mixing them in dozens of different ways, so it never gets boring.