Slab leakage is a common household problem everywhere. While building houses, water pipes are fitted in the foundation slab. Someday or other, these pipes might get leaked. It is very costly and difficult to repair such leaks because the pipe lies deep within the concrete, which has to be dug down from the house floor. The leakage causes water wastage and damages your house. The quicker you fix it, the lesser it gets damaged.
Common signs of slab leakage:
InSan Diego, slab leak repair is the most common mistake that most of the house owners make is that they take too much time to detect the slab leak. It can go years without being detected and noticed. So it is important to investigate and understand the signs of slab leakage very often. Here are some common yet easily negligible signs of slab leakage.
- The foremost sign is the rapid increase in water bills.
- A sudden decrease in the water pressure.
- Sounds of running water or droplets even when all taps are shut.
- Cracks develop on the foundation.
- Discoloration or dampness in floor coverings.
- Warm or damp patches on the floor.
- Bad smell from the leakage.
- Continuous running of the water meter even when all water outlets are off.
- Due to damaged hardwood floors.
If you detect one or more of these signs or when you notice any of these signs, make sure you contact a licensed plumbing company or plumber immediately. For example, In San Diego, you can immediately contact the most trustworthy slab leak detector like EZ Leak Detection.
Causes of a slab leak:
In order to solve a problem, we must first understand its causes from the roots. Similarly, in order to fix the problem of slab leakage, we must first understand its causes. It may be due to the failure of the plumbing system of the house. Here are some causes of slab leakage.
- Expansive soil shift is the foremost cause of slab leaks. According to The American Society of Civil Engineers, about 25% of homes in the United States are damaged due to expansive soil shifting. Expansive soils contain minerals that absorb water, which causes them to expand. When such soils expand, they cause movement leading to bending and weakening of pipes and connections. San Diego, being located in California, experiences severe soil shifting, which results in slab leakage.
- In many cases, the cause of slab leaks could be a faulty installation of the pipes and joints from the beginning only.
- Many times, the material of the pipe also happens to cause slab leakage. If the cast iron pipes or galvanized steel pipes are being installed in the house, then with the passage of time, these materials become vulnerable to rust and clogging. However, these days, the cast iron pipes are available with coating and are protected.
- Other causes of slab leak could be earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes.
Ways of prevention:
- Regular plumbing inspection: Perhaps one of the best preventive measures is to conduct regular plumbing inspection in San Diego slab leak repair. You can contact the professional plumbing company who can do a thorough inspection of the pipes with the help of their specialized instruments like sound detecting microphones or fiber optic-mounted cameras, which can be inserted in pipelines to detect the leakage. Self-inspection can also be done by carefully listening to the sound of running water or by regularly checking for damp patches.
- Maintain average water pressure: High water pressure causes the rupture of the pipes and joints. When the water pressure is high, you will hear banging or clunking noise when you turn on the water. You can contact a professional plumber to check and fix the water pressure on average. You can also install a water pressure gauge close to your main water line, which measures the water pressure in pounds per square inch (psi).
- Soften the hard water: Hard water damages the pipes. In San Diego, slab leak repair is very hard, as the water is very hard, which requires softening. You can install a water softener to soften your water. However, in California and some other states, salt-based softeners are banned, but other saltless softeners are also available.
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners: People often use chemical drain cleaners to get rid of the clogs in their sinks. The chemical cleaners are harsh. It damages the pipes and joints of your house. You can contact nearby professional plumbers to clean the clogs rather than using such cleaners.
- Maintain your plants: The roots of trees may cause dents and holes in the pipes, which causes slab leak repair Orange County. Make sure you try to plant trees away from foundation slabs. If the tree is already there, try removing it to some other place with the help of professionals.