We are all familiar with the many words people use to describe a leader – visionary, energetic, dynamic, inspiring, courageous, and many more. All of these and other descriptions of leaders seem to imply that leaders are made and leadership is not something that can be taught. However, research has shown that when organizations make leadership development a learning process, more effective leadership is shown by employees at all levels of the organisation. Part of this process is exposing leaders and potential leaders to a Leadership Coaching Program.
What is leadership coaching?
Leadership coaching is ideal for existing leaders or individuals identified to take up leadership roles in an organization. They can be CXO’s or Managers who have just started to lead a team. A Leadership Coaching Program is most effective for anyone who wishes to learn how to step up and be a leader. Duration of the engagement varies based on the need. This is usually conducted by one to one sessions between the coach and the leader.
Leadership coaching is a personalized coaching program where the number of coaching hours is flexible depending on the need and progress of a leader. Leaders and the coach identify the goals after detailed discussion.
When does the need for leadership coaching arise?
Many leaders are pushed into leadership roles by virtue of their knowledge and advanced technical skills. However, it is how they react to the circumstances they face that makes or breaks them as leaders. One leader sees an opportunity and decides that they are the only ones capable of deciding what the next steps should be while another may decide to allow their managers to make bigger decisions in their sphere of influence. Both are reactions to external circumstances and the manager can identify the one to grow into a better leader.
Leadership Coaching Programs are a great way to help leaders through the decision-making process. A Leadership Development Program also makes a leader aware of their natural strengths and weaknesses, and helps them build on their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
What to expect after successful completion of a leadership coaching program?
The leadership coaching program is perfect for organizations that desire their leaders to learn how to be better leaders and build motivated teams.
On completion of the program, organisations can expect:
- Senior leaders to drive organisational success and lead from the top. A Leadership Coaching Program can also help leaders with tools to craft organisational strategy along with their team, keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the team
- A Leadership Coaching Program will help support your high potential managers and provide them the tools they need to lead people as well as projects. A leadership Coaching program will also help leaders to be able to apply their skills to today’s world of remote working and hybrid teams.
- With the time spent reflecting on strengths and weaknesses, post a Leadership Coaching Program leaders often tune into work at a higher level of emotional understanding. This allows them to connect better and more easily with team members
- Coaching helps leaders to ask the right questions of people working under them, honour their abilities and help them work on their limitations in an open and authentic way. Leaders create a motivated work environment for all members of their team. This in turn leads to higher productivity.
- Leadership Coaching helps leaders to build skill at effective communication, taking and giving feedback and holding coaching conversations. This helps them connect and think systematically about problems. It also allows them to solve problems among employees or between employees amicably. This also allows them to support their teams and create conditions for peak performance.
- Leaders become good decision-makers and influencers. They become the pivot on which the decisions of the organisations take place. They are able to influence the turn of events in the organisation in ways that lead to business success. Leadership coaching turns technologically adept leaders to become all-rounders.
- Putting their leaders through A leadership coaching program also helps the organisation to have a pool of leaders to pick from and create a plan of succession.
Organizations gain exponential benefits from this program. Through this program, their senior-level employees such as managers and team leaders turn into full-fledged leaders helping grow the organisation and accelerating financial progress.