When it comes to home reinvention, most property owners associate the idea with the massive cost of breaking down their walls and using power tools.
But reinventing your space, whether it is a standalone house or apartment, does not have to be so laborious and expensive. With the introduction of decorative concrete coatings and other advancements in the field of home improvement, you can transform your property without a full-scale renovation.
But before splurging on this kind of project, you need to think about these crucial items first:
- Concept – With your existing interior design, pinpoint what you like and dislike. You should also determine how you want your new space to feel. Choose at least three defining words that best describe your goal. You can choose from contemporary, comfortable, modern, classic, or eclectic – and use these words as your guide in making style decisions as you shop for anything new. Do these fittings and selections match perfectly with your list of word inspirations?
- Limitations – You need to assess your limitations in reinventing your living space. How much are you willing to spend?
- Space – Think about your space and how you’ll live in it. Sketch out your floor plan and consider how the entire family can move through the spaces. If you want to rearrange your furnishings, make sure that the flow will work for everyone. Creating a draft on how your new space will look will help you save a lot of time.
Now that you’ve considered all these factors, it is time to implement some (or all) of these home reinvention tips.
1. Transform your concrete flooring
Gone are the days when concrete floorings are plain and dull. Today, the possibilities for making it colorful and decorative are endless. So if you want your property to stay updated and be more beautiful, start by transforming your concrete flooring.
Use decorative concrete finishes. These innovations can make your concrete flooring look like stone, tile, or even wood. Concrete flooring companies in Dubai can help you explore the wide range of designs, colors, textures, and patterns to find the most suitable option for your concept and budget.
One of today’s best option is Neocement. This decorative finish is available in a wide variety of colors and textures, allowing for unlimited creativity. It is the perfect choice for transforming outdated floors into modern surfaces. Most importantly, it is a part of the new generation of smart, eco-friendly decorative products that reduce your environmental impact while boosting comfort.
Concrete finishes will not just make your place look attractive, but also enhance its durability. It can also last longer than any other material.
2. Dress up your wall
Like flooring, your wall also has an enormous impact on your home’s beauty and functionality. So it would make wonderful sense to reinvent your walls, too. Luckily, there are plenty of ideas to give your wall a makeover. Here are some of them:
- Use decorative finishes – Concrete walls can benefit from decorative finishes, too. With decorative concrete coatings, your walls can look like actual stone, marble or wood materials, but at the price of concrete.
- Hang a fabric – Fabric-colored walls bring a unique feel and beauty to a room. You can use linen, silk, or grass cloth to add formality or texture to your space. You can even pair it with padding to minimize background noise between rooms.
- Mirrors – Mirrored walls can instantly make your room appear bigger. Mirrors reflect light, thus creating the illusion of wider space.
Walls are an open canvas. You can practically add anything to these to make them more appealing. A simple touch like using decorative finishes or hanging fabrics can add beauty and charm to a room.
3. Add accent furniture
Accent furniture refers to anything that stands out from the rest of your decor. Its main purpose is to add definition, color, and drama to a room.
So if you want to reinvent your space, one of the easiest things to do is add accent furniture. Here are some excellent ideas.
- Go for small tables – These are popular items property owners use as accent furniture. You can opt for those with strong lines or colors or ones made from unconventional materials. The key is to ensure that your accent table has attention-grabbing power.
- Choose huge pieces – If you don’t want to go small, go big. Choose a huge, imposing piece that can draw everyone’s attention. It could be a huge painted folding screen, a big cabinet, or an unusual sculpture.
- Make your dining table the star – Your dining table can be your accent furniture. Choose one that stands out because of its unique finish, color, or material.
4. Replace your lighting
Lighting helps set the mood and tone in a room. Excellent lighting can transform any space. And today, there are plenty of lighting options that will help you redefine your space at affordable prices.
When transforming a space, you can start by adding two crucial lights – ambient and accent.
Ambient lighting is meant to light a room in its entirety. It offers the same level of illumination throughout the space. A multi-color floor lamp is an example of ambient light that can enhance your home. Its multi-color setting can instantly transform the vibe of the room – from dim red to soft white. Other options include chandeliers, table lamps, or ceiling-mounted lights.
On the other hand, accent lighting is used primarily to emphasize a particular point of interest. It helps make the room appear larger. You can use it to highlight your accent furniture at night.
5. Bring in some plants
Bring your home to life by adding indoor plants. Doing so will not just bring natural warmth and beauty to your abode, but studies also have shown that plants are stress-relievers and can clear the air of toxins.
But if you think you can’t take care of real plants, you can have plant imagery like nature wall prints as an alternative. Beautiful plant images can also help relieve stress and enhance the calming vibe in your space.
Transforming your space, from the ground to the ceiling, does not have to be laborious and expensive. With simple tweaks, you can enjoy a more beautiful, comfortable, and healthier home. Find a decorative floor and wall finish that reflects your personality, add accent furniture, replace your lights, and don’t forget to bring in some plants.
Ralph El Eid is the Business Development Manager at COLORTEK – Wall & Floor Fashion. EQUIPAINT is the franchise owner of COLORTEK in Dubai (U.A.E.) and Doha (Qatar); an international paints manufacturer specializing in the widest range of decorative paints and seamless concrete & resin flooring, with a unique showroom concept, and thus an ideal destination for homeowners, consultants, architects, interior designers and paint applicators.