The constant growth of WordPress as the go-to content management system makes it one of the most vulnerable platforms when it comes to security. Hackers target WordPress more than any other platform and that is true because according to Venture Beat, WordPress is known to power more than 30 percent of all websites.
So when it comes to security, the first and foremost thing to keep in mind are security updates. With WordPress being so popular, the ever-growing community and developers are always hard at work making sure that this content management system is as safe, stable and reliable as it should be. One of the best ways to keep WordPress updated is to make sure you are checking for security updates.
These crucial updates help keep this platform safe. In this article, I’ll guide you on how to check WordPress for security updates and some additional strategies that would help keep you safer than ever.
But first, let’s start with the obvious steps that you need to take, regardless of security updates. These steps can be performed by beginners and seasoned users alike, and are a staple when it comes to WordPress powered websites.
- Using strong and detailed passwords helps keep you safe from hackers. Complex and detailed passwords help keep hackers away from getting into your admin panel.
- Using the best security plugins and extensions also helps keep hackers and malicious software at bay. Your WordPress website will be able to perform better and faster.
- Using premium WordPress themes is also a great strategy to keep hackers away. Premium themes are always a safer bet than opting for free themes because with free themes, there are security loopholes that you won’t know about until its too late.
- Using premium plugins, just like themes should always be a consideration. It is no secret that there are plugins developed by recognized developers and software companies, but it’s always better to use plugins coming from known sources.
- Get a managed hosting service. In today’s age, conventional hosting services won’t cut it. I can personally recommend a managed WordPress hosting service that not only keeps your WordPress website secure but also makes sure you are less worried about security and concentrating more on seeing your business grow. Check out. Cloudways for more details.
Now that we have the simpler and important steps out of the way, let’s get into the procedure of how to check WordPress for security updates, it’s rather easy.
Option 1 – WordPress Security Update
Log into your WordPress dashboard, under Home, you would see an option that says Updates. If there is an update, there would be an indication for it. Once you click on Updates, you would be able to see details of the update.
WordPress side menu is quite detailed and easy to navigate, you would not have issues locating this option. After you click on the Updates page, you will also be able to see which software packages installed will need an update or are available.
Whether your plugins need and update, or the themes or even the WordPress core, you will find all the details in the Updates section.
When you come across the updates available, simply click on the respective button and the update will start downloading and install. It is always a good idea to keep all your plugins, themes and WordPress core updated to the latest version.
Option 2 – WordPress Knowledge Base
The WordPress knowledge base is your resource to know the current developments taking place in the world of WordPress and what software have updates available. Whether it is add-ons, themes, plugins or even extensions, the WordPress knowledge base has information and updates regarding everything related to WordPress.
You can keep a check by visiting the knowledge base and see detailed information about how developments are taking place and what updates are addressed in relevant software updates for WordPress.
Option 3 – Vulnerability Database
Want to know more about WordPress security precautions? Vulnerability databases are your ideal resource. Vulnerability databases give you the information you need about security breaches that are being addressed and a community that takes part in solving issues regarding WordPress security.
You will have graphs, stats and important security protocols that have appeared with WordPress and with several other software that you might be using. Just search WordPress and you will be shown information regarding it. To get you up to speed, I am listing a few of the best databases for you to check out below.
Option 4 – WordPress Vulnerability Scanners
If you are shying away from technical procedures, don’t worry because there are online solutions to check your WordPress powered websites for vulnerabilities. That’s easy right? All you need to do is visit the websites I have listed 3 awesome websites below, put in the address of your WordPress powered website and it will scan and inform you if you have any security flaws that need to be addressed.
- Google Safe Browsing – This is a website that scans and checks your website for the most common security errors and shortcomings if there are any. All you need to do is input the address of your WordPress website and click on Go.
- WP Scans – The name says it all doesn’t it? With this website, your WordPress powered website will be scanned and updated about any relevant updates by WordPress itself. The best thing is that there is also a tool for this that can be used. But, with this website will only scan your website for the most basic security updates.
- Sucuri Site Check – This website scans your WordPress website for a vast majority of security loopholes that might have plagued your website. Not just that, but this website will also present you with detailed reports about each issue that you might not know about and can look into. Use this website if you are a seasoned user.
So there you have it. I hope you find the solutions I mentioned handy for checking your WordPress powered website for security flaws. I must be clear, checking your WordPress powered website for security flaws should not be a once a month schedule but an everyday routine if you want to be safer than ever.
With WordPress becoming more and more popular every day, it is prone to security flaws and even when development is quick, hackers and malicious software is always looking for ways to steal information and create problems. I hope the mentioned options proved to be helpful. If you think I missed out on something, please comment in the box below, I would love to know your opinion.