Wearing contact lenses are the perfect choice for those who need correct vision and do not want to wear eyeglasses anymore!!!
Wearing contact lenses are not as simple as it looks. You need to investigate lenses from all ends. Like what are different materials used, right wearing time of lenses, when to replace, different designs and many more features… most important which is right for you.
If you are new contact lens user, does not worry, just read this write-up till the end. You will get all details about contact lenses.
Different Types of Contact Lenses Materials
There are five types of contact lenses based on material, therefore the selection of right time becomes an important choice for vert lenses wearer.
- Soft lenses: These lenses are made from hydrogel, which are like water-containing plastics. The best part is that these are thin and can easily fit on the front surface of the eye.
- Silicone hydrogel lenses are the most popular type of contact lenses. These are made from advanced technology that allows oxygen to pass through the lens and keep eyes hydrated.
- Gas permeable lenses: These lenses are specifically designed for astigmatism patients. These are the type of rigid lenses that maintain your eye shape. In the initial stage of wearing, these lenses take time, therefore, choosing soft material GP lenses will be a perfect choice.
- Hybrid Contact lenses: These lenses are rigid gas permeable lens (GP) and its surroundings are made from a silicone hydrogel material. These are comfortable lenses compare to other lenses model.
- PMMA lenses are rigid same as GP lenses. But these are made from plastic material which is not oxygen permeable. Earlier these lenses were highly popular, but now gas permeable lenses become its replacement.
Contact Lenses Wearing Time
On the basis of time, contact lenses categorized into two major categories i.e. Daily wear contact lenses and Extended Contact lenses.
- Daily contact lenses: These lenses are applied and removed every day.
- Extended contact lenses: One can be wear over numbers of days without any trouble of removing at night. These lenses can be worn 24 hours for the next 30 days.
When to replace contact lenses
Even if you take proper care of lenses, with the passage of time these needs to be replaced. Otherwise, dust accumulated on it can enhance eye infection risk. Therefore, contact lenses manufacturer describe specific time to replaces particular type of lenses:
- Daily Disposable lenses: These are discarded after one-time use.
- Disposable lenses: These last for maximum for two weeks, and early can be replaced. Therefore their weekly disposable contacts range is very popular
- Reusable lenses: These are discarded after every six months or even can longer duration last.
- Frequent replacement lenses: These are best to discard every monthly or quarterly.
Contact lens Design
Soft lenses are made from both hydrogel and silicone hydrogel lenses. In addition, a variety of designs can confuse new wearer. Keep in mind; all are designed for different purposes:
- Cosmetic lenses are designed to change eye color. Therefore, these are mostly used in Halloween, movies and other similar events. Even some fashion icons love to carry them by matching or contrasting their outfits
- Toric soft contact lenses are designed with different power in different lenses. Therefore, mostly used by astigmatism patients those have nearsightedness or farsightedness.
- Spherical contact lenses carry the same power in both lenses. People suffering from myopia or hyperopia use these lenses.
- Multifocal contact lenses contain different power zones to correct nearsightedness or farsightedness issue.
Note: All lenses can be customized bases on user needs by professional.
Contact Lenses Other Features
- Using Bifocal contacts lenses are the best way to deal with presbyopia and astigmatism issues.
- Dry eye lenses are created to deal with dry-eyed problems. Hence, special lenses are created for dry eyes.
- Color lenses describe colors, therefore from fashion shades to natural shade, you can choose any lens.
- UV-inhibiting lenses are designed to save eyes from harmful effects of sun rays.
Which contact lens is Right for You?
While choosing contact lenses, check based on the following parameters.
- Contact lens must be designed to solve your eye problem such as astigmatism, myopia, hyperopia or some other issue with you may be suffering from.
- It must be made according to your eye size and shape. Therefore, match always doctor’s prescription with your lenses.
- If your eyes are dry, ask your doctor they can recommend a special type of lenses that are created for eyes requirements.
- Check actually what you want either colors lenses or overnight wear. Based on requirement look for the right type and kind.
Tips to care contact lenses
There are some simple tips to care for lenses and eyes. Following them can save you from many serious eye issues:
- Always use a multipurpose solution to clean lenses.
- Take contact lenses case to store lenses safely.
- Ask your doctor for best lenses caring tips and do not forget to follow his instructions.
- If you want to avoid storing and caring issues, use daily disposable lenses.
Ellyse Carey working as Marketing Manager cum writer at “888lens”. It is an online store providing all types of Daily contact lenses. In Singapore, 888lens is the top contact lens online platform which provides the best deals on Acuvue, Biotrue, Proclear, MyDay & more contact lenses giving the right to your doorstep.